Police break up wedding party that flaunted Covid rules with over 100 guests

Friday, 16th October 2020, 9:57 am

A wedding venue which hosted more than 100 guests in a “flagrant” and “foolish” breach of Covid restrictions could be hit with a £10,000 fine.

Under the current guidance, the number of guests allowed at weddings is limited to 15 people.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Police were called to a wedding reception on Tuesday evening where they saw the crowd of revellers celebrating without any social distancing or masks.

The owner of the Tudor Rose, in Southall, west London, was reported by officers and could now face a £10,000 fine.

Nearby Ealing currently has the highest Covid rate in the capital.

Met Police superintendent Peter Gardner said: “This was a dangerous and foolish breach of the regulations, which have been designed specifically to keep people safe from transmitting a deadly virus.

“Restrictions on large gatherings, such as weddings, have been in place for months and quite frankly there can be no excuse for this flagrant and arrogant violation of the law.

“There was clearly no attempt by the venue owner to enforce the regulations or keep their patrons safe – it is for this reason we have reported them for a £10,000 fine.

“Everyone has a responsibility to keep themselves, and their families, safe from Coronavirus.

“As cases of coronavirus rise across London, officers throughout the Met will be redoubling our efforts to clamp down on those individuals and businesses who breach the regulations and put themselves, and others at risk.”

A Met Police spokesperson added: “Officers from the Met Police were called to the Tudor Rose in Southall shortly after 6.30pm on Tuesday, October 13.

“After arriving on scene, it was clear to officers that a high number of people had crowded into the venue to celebrate a wedding.

“This was in clear breach of the regulations, which have been put in place by the Government to protect people from Coronavirus.”

Photo: Metropolitan Police

Body-worn video footage shows the moment police entered the venue and saw the crowd.

The spokesperson continued: “As officers walked through the venue, they saw no clear evidence that guests were maintaining social distancing, nor were guests taking any reasonable steps to protect others and prevent transmitting the virus.

“Under current regulations, weddings are permitted, however, guest numbers are limited to 15 persons.

“Likewise, the venue must adhere to strict COVID Secure guidelines in order to keep people safe. In clear breach of these regulations, officers dispersed a large number of the guests to ensure numbers complied with the law.

“After considering the risk, senior officers decided to report the owner of the venue for consideration of a £10,000 fixed penalty notice.”

Source Article

Police Break Up London Wedding Reception With More Than 100 Guests [Video]

Police in London have broken up a wedding with more than 100 guests, which was in breach of the government’s coronavirus restrictions.

Weddings in England are currently limited to 15 people as part of a raft of measures aimed at preventing the spread of the virus.

Officers from the Metropolitan Police were called to the Tudor Rose venue in Southall, west London, around 6:30 pm on October 13.

“After arriving on scene, it was clear to officers that a high number of people had crowded into the venue to celebrate a wedding. This was in clear breach of the regulations, which have been put in place by the government to protect people from coronavirus,” police said in a statement.

“As officers walked through the venue, they saw no clear evidence that guests were maintaining social distancing, nor were guests taking any reasonable steps to protect others and prevent transmitting the virus.”

Police said the wedding reception had attracted more than 100 people and that the owner of the venue had been reported for consideration of a £10,000 fixed penalty notice.

Chief Supt Peter Gardner said: “This was a dangerous and foolish breach of the regulations, which have been designed specifically to keep people safe from transmitting a deadly virus. Restrictions on large gatherings, such as weddings, have been in place for months and quite frankly there can be no excuse for this flagrant violation of the law.” Credit: Metropolitan police via Storyful

Source Article

Coronavirus: Police break up Southall wedding party with more than 100 guests | UK News

A wedding reception which breached coronavirus rules after more than 100 people attended has been broken up by police.

Officers in London – which will face Tier 2 restrictions from midnight on Friday were called to the Tudor Rose venue in Southall, west London, shortly after 6.30pm on Tuesday.

In a statement, police said: “The owner of an event venue in west London has been reported for consideration of a £10,000 fixed penalty notice, after they allowed a wedding reception to go ahead that attracted more than 100 people.”

More than 100 guests attended the reception at the Tudor Rose
Image:
More than 100 guests attended the reception at the Tudor Rose venue
The reception took place at the Tudor Rose, Southall. Pic: Google Street View
Image:
Police were called to the event venue on Tuesday evening. Pic: Google Street View

Groups of no more than 15 are allowed to attend wedding receptions in England, according to the government’s website.

It comes as a bid to lift the restriction was rejected by a High Court judge on Thursday.

Cripps Barn Group Ltd, a wedding operator which runs a number of venues across England, asked for an injunction to prevent enforcement of the limit on numbers.

Its lawyers argued that the rules were “unlawful” and would cause the firm and others like it to suffer “serious and irreparable harm” if they continue to be enforced.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player


Tier 2 lockdown arrives in London

But a judge rejected their claims, saying the public interest in keeping the measures in place “outweighs” the harm that will be suffered by venues.

The application was made ahead of a wider legal challenge, launched earlier this month by Cripps, along with businessman Simon Dolan – who according to the Sunday Times Rich List is worth £200m – over the legality of government measures aimed at reducing the spread of COVID-19.

It is the second High Court challenge Mr Dolan has brought against lockdown rules, the first having been dismissed in July, which he will challenge later this month.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player


London Mayor Sadiq Khan: ‘Govt is refusing to follow SAGE advice’

Police in London vowed on Thursday to take “tough action” against licensed premises putting customers at risk by breaching new measures coming into force at the weekend.

The alert level in the capital will be raised from “medium” to “high” as of midnight on Friday – meaning Londoners will no longer be allowed to meet people from other households inside – whether at home or at other venues such as pubs. They should also avoid public transport if possible as part of the rules.

It a tweet, Metropolitan Police warned people about the new rules and promised to step up their efforts to crack down on “the most deliberate, harmful and flagrant” breaches of coronavirus restrictions.

They said patrols would be increased, including near pubs and bars during the evenings, where breaches were “more commonly recorded”.

Deputy Assistant Commissioner Matt Twist, the force’s lead for COVID-19, said this was a “critical